Moving can be a tedious process. We’ve helped plenty of North Carolina homesellers move, and we know it can sometimes be a daunting task.
If you’re planning to move from your NC house soon, and you plan on doing it without hiring professional movers, consider these tips for making the process as smooth as possible.
Tips for cutting down costs
After buying a new house, you may be thinking of ways you can save money when moving from your current house. Here are a few cost-saving tips to consider:
- Ask family and friends to help in exchange for a free lunch (which will likely be much cheaper than hiring moving professionals).
- Instead of spending money on packing peanuts or bubble wrap, use newspapers and clothes to pad your fragile items.
- Ask for free moving boxes. Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, and liquor stores often give away boxes. You can also try Craigslist or your local Facebook Marketplace to see if anyone has boxes they want to get rid of. You may even find your place of employment has a few boxes they’d be willing to part with for free.
- Sort through your stuff to see if any of it can be given away or sold at a yard sale. This will cut down on the amount of space you need in a moving truck, which could allow you to spend less by renting a smaller truck.
Tips for packing a moving truck
If you’re committed to moving without the help of professionals, there are a few things you should know. First, don’t put off packing until the last minute. Before you rent your moving truck, you should have your boxes packed and organized by room. This will help you feel less overwhelmed and more organized.
I like what How Stuff Works says about packing. They say this is the order you should pack your bulkier items:
- Heavy appliances
- Heavy furniture (sofas, reclining chairs, tables, etc.) and mattresses
- Heavy boxes on top of the appliances and furniture
As far as where everything else should go, they give this advice:
- Put headboards and bed frames between mattresses
- Put heavy boxes in the center of the truck and put lighter boxes on top
- Roll and place carpets in the back of the truck closest to the door
Even though folks typically choose to move with their stuff in tow, moving every item out of your house isn’t necessary with the right buyer. For instance, at DKL Housing Solutions, we are willing to buy houses that still have junk in them. So, whatever items homesellers leave behind, we’ll take care of them. Keep that in mind if you’re planning a fresh start by moving into a house with all new furniture and appliances.